Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Rava/ Suji Eggless Cake

My last post was somewhere in oct'11 and though I was trying out various receipes I did not update on the blog. Most of the times the reason is that I forgot to take photo of the final product immediately after preparation. And most of the times when I remembered there were no left overs :).
So I was noting down all tried and loved receipes in my lil' blue diary. I am planning to now post is one by one and may be update the images later on.

As usual I am restarting blog writing with a "Sweet Receipe"

This is a simple eggless cake prepared with superfine semolina/rava/suji. I had prepared this cake for the first time on my son Aditya's 2nd month b'day. Had learned about this receipe from a cookery show on either "Mee Marathi" or "Saam TV", i don't remeber now.

The receipe is really simple. Only important thing is that the batter should be prepared well in advance so that the semolina is soaked in the milk+ curd for atleast 2-3 hrs. So that the cake is really soft.

Rava Cake
Eggless Rava Cake
Preparation time: 10 min to mix all the ingredients + 2-3 hrs for resting batter.

Ingredients:
 
- 1 cup superfine semolina. In Bangalore they call it "Chiroti Rava". You can use Upama rava, just soak for more time.
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar. (Original receipe had 1 cup sugar. You can adjust this as per your taste).
- 1 cup curd
- 1/2 to 1/3 cup oil. (Original receipe had 1 cup ghee/clarified butter. But I prefer oil. I reduced quantity, but the cake turned out pretty moist).
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp Keshar-elaichi syrup
- Chopped walnuts/almonds/kismis (optional)
 
1. Mix all ingredients (except soda) together and let the mixture rest for atleast 2-3 hrs.
2. Pre-heat oven for min. 5 min (180 C, I use only bottom rod heating in Bajaj OTG) before baking.
3. Mix soda in the cake batter and encorporate it well.
4. Pour the mixture in prepared (grease the pan) cake mould.
5. Bake at 180C for 30-35 min.
6. The cake is now ready to eat. In case you have leftovers, make sure to fridge it.
 
There is one variation to this receipe I call it "Satyanarayan puja prasad cake".
Basically you need to use Panchamruta (Ghee, Sugar, Milk, Curd, Honey) + Riped banana + Semolina as ingredients. You need to adjust quantities for Sugar,Honey and Banana as per your liking.
 
Next time when you have puja at home, do try this option for prasad.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pradnya,

    How to make Keshar Eliachi Syrup?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I am not sure where you are located but you get Kesar-elaichi syrup in Mumbai-Pune easily. At home if you want to make it you can soak some kesar strands, grounded elaichi powder and some sugar in warm water. Don't put too much water, add just enough to soak the mix. Keep it for 30-40 mins.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment.